Subject Re: [firebird-support] Firebird server 64 bit, OS 64 bit, Firebird client 32 bit
Author marcus
hej,

vic93@... wrote:
> Hi to all Guru !
>
> For all I know,
>
> - The client application must be same bit, as Firebird client.
> Application 32 bit -> Firebird client 32 bit
> Application 64 bit -> Firebird client 64 bit.
>
> - Any client (32/64 bit) can connect to any Firebird server (32/64 bit).
>
> - 32 bit OS -> 32 bit application
> - 64 bit OS -> 32 bit/64 bit application.
>
> The question: on 64 bit Windows (more than 4G mem), with 32 bit
> application and Firebird client, gainful the Firebird 64 bit server usage ?
>
> Thanks.
hmmm, IMHO not really. But it depends on what your app does with the
server. An option i may think of - holding a lot of query/cache data in
the memory. IIRC you'll need to rework the firebird.conf for that.

From my experience: It is useful to use a 64er OS, so you have a lot of
RAM to use for a lot of 32er applications. 64er applications would have
to fit into that construct. And even an 64er OS uses a lot of 32er
system processes and that.

hth, Marcus