Subject Re: [firebird-support] Firebird 3.0 driver development
Author Mark Rotteveel
On 5-8-2013 12:23, Reinier Olislagers wrote:
> On 05/08/2013 12:21, Mark Rotteveel wrote:
>> On 5-8-2013 12:13, Reinier Olislagers wrote:
>>> I help maintain the database subsystem for the FPC FreePascal compiler.
>>>
>>> With the release of 3.0 alpha, I was wondering:
>>> 0. Firebird 3 has a 2.x compatibility mode - but you won't use the new
>>> network protocol if you use that, and the compatibility module can be
>>> switched off in the db, right?
>>> 1. Does it make sense to start rewriting drivers against the new (C) API
>>> or are there still major changes possible/likely before release
>>> 2. Have any of the others (ADO.Net, Java, ODBC, python,...) already
>>> started? Any lessons learned?
>>> 3. Is there anything I forgot that may be relevant ;)
>>
>> I think your question is off-topic for the firebird-support list, and is
>> better suited for the firebird-devel mailinglist.
>
> Although I'm not a Firebird developer, I heed & obey.... & will ask there ;)

Firebird-devel is not just for Firebird developers :)

The description of firebird-support on
http://www.firebirdsql.org/en/mailing-lists/ says:

"Open user support list for released versions of Firebird.
A support list for all currently released versions of Firebird. For
advice about beta versions, please take questions to Firebird-devel."

And for firebird-devel:

"Firebird-devel is an open list for discussing all aspects of porting,
building and enhancing Firebird.
Development lab forum for developers working with the Firebird source
code or _developing drivers_"

--
Mark Rotteveel