Subject Re: [firebird-support] Re: How to maximize cpu usage for Firebird?
Author Mark Rotteveel
On Thu, 18 Jul 2013 05:37:29 -0000, "trskopo" <trskopo@...> wrote:
> --- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, Alexandre Benson Smith
> <iblist@...> wrote:
>>
>> Perhaps the bottleneck is not the CPU, maybe your disk subsystem can't
>> provide information as fast as the CPU can process it. I think your CPU

>> is sitting idle while waiting the disc provides the data.
>>
>> I/O bound x CPU bound process...
>>
>> see you !
>>

> Thanks for your reply.
>
> My database is on RAM, as I know it is the most fastest I/O for
Firebird.

> I was watching cpu's utilization via window's task manager, almost
> constantly at 16%.
>
> If there was a bottleneck in I/O, whenever I/O processing finished, I
> should saw some raising in cpu's utilization.
>
> I though this was no bottleneck, it just seems that FB Server couldn't
> utilized more power from cpu.

You are using SuperServer (based on a previous message of yours), that
will only use a single core. That is even if you configure CpuAffinity to a
different value, but then it will jump between cores which is detrimental
to performance.

You will need to switch to classic server to get more out of your number
of cores.

Mark