Subject Re: [firebird-support] Have a lots memory, but FB could not take advantages
Author Mark Rotteveel
On 15-7-2013 18:38, trskopo wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a 16GB RAM and since my database file is small size, it can completely runs on RAM.
>
> The problem is I can not set FB SuperClasic 2.5.1 on WinXp 64 to take advantages of it.
>
> Setting Page Size and Page Buffers is useless.
>
> Performance seems just the same whether Page Size set to maximum (16384) or minimum (4096). Same with DefaultDbCachePages, I even set it to zero in firebird.conf.
>
> When Page Size and Page Buffers set to minimum value, memory consumption for firebird server also minimum, without any decrease in performance.
>
> Page Size and Page Buffers setting only useful when database file set on disk.
>
> Any hints, how to take advantage these memory?

Page size decides the size of the database pages, DefaultDbCachePages
decides the number of pages to cache. Setting it to 0 either disables it
or uses some kind of minimum value.

As I mentioned in my previous email, using small values will only lead
to a small cache on superserver (where the cache is system wide per
database, not per connection). So either try a larger number of
DefaultDbCachePages, switch to classic, or check if your database
doesn't actually have its own value configured (in which case playing
around with this setting has no effect).

Mark
--
Mark Rotteveel