Subject Re: [firebird-support] Aliases and Windows 7
Author Helen Borrie
At 11:35 p.m. 30/05/2013, Norman Dunbar wrote:

>Q3. Are you connecting locally (on the database server) or remotely?
>
>If locally, then the alias.conf should simply be as above, the path to
>the database.
>
>if remotely, then your own aliases.conf (assuming that exists in a
>client only install - I've never done one!) will need to have the server
>name as well:
>
>employee = win7_server:employee
>employee.fdb = win7_server:employee
>
>In this case, your local employee aliases connect to the server and use
>the server's employee alias. The above (colon separator) assumes TCP
>protocol.

Norm, this isn't correct. Aliases.conf doesn't belong in a client-only install at all. The paths in aliases.conf are strictly file system paths that are local to the Firebird host machine. No hostnames in aliases.conf, ever!

What you need to do:

1. Move the database file right out of the Users tree and into a directory that is not protected by Windows (see Mark's list). That is, create a directory named c:\dati (as you had on W2003) and put your databases in their own subdirs under this.
Do NOT make it a share.

2. Fix aliases.conf *in your Firebird host root directory*: entries should look like this:

XFILES = C:\DATI\FB\XFILES.FDB

3. Check to make sure port 3050 is open in the host's firewall.

4. Make sure remote clients connect using the correct hostname, e.g., using Norm's example, win7_server:XFILES

Helen Borrie, Support Consultant, IBPhoenix (Pacific)
Author of "The Firebird Book" and "The Firebird Book Second Edition"
http://www.firebird-books.net