Subject Re: [firebird-support] Re: how to use the same column from a single table to other tables?
Author Ann Harrison
On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 8:07 PM, dice_in_trouble
<dice_in_trouble@...>wrote:

You wrote:

> > > the client id also doens't auto increment.

I asked

> How do you generate client identifiers?
> >

> You responded

> What do you mean by client identifiers? I would like to summarize all the
> data in a certain column.

Summarizing data can be done with computed columns, or with triggers.
Triggers introduce a chance
for deadlocks but perform better if you have a high read:write ratio
because the sum doesn't have to be
computed on reference. However, you also mentioned that your client_id
field is not generated automatically.
One way people get in trouble with Firebird is using something like setting
an identifier column with an
expression like <identifier> = MAX(<identifier>) + 1 I wondered if that
was how you were creating unique
identifiers.

Good luck,

Ann