Subject Re: Important settings for perfomance
Author hhaui@ymail.com
--- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Steinmaurer <ts@...> wrote:

> > our company is developing a system using firebird since years. This system is a "real-time" production steering application.
> > This means for us, that our applications need to perform a lot of different sql (with join over some table) in the shortest possible time. Today if we encounter a slow application behavior, we try to optimize the sql's...
>
> SQL tuning (and the applied underlaying physical model) is still one of
> the most crucial area when it comes to improving performance, so that's
> a good start.
>
> > I just wonder, what performance would be possible usind firebird, as we are planning to switch to a more flexible database structure, and this will for sure increase the db load.
>
> Preparing stuff with the goal to be more flexible/generic usually
> results in a solution where things are getting interesting with a
> growing data volume, increasing concurrent access etc.
>
> A good example is a fact table in a data warehouse: Should the
> "measures" be layed out vertically in a separate column per measure or
> one row per measure and type with one value in a generic measure column?
> While the latter is much more flexible when new measures and/or types or
> coming along, the first approach is much better from a performance POV,
> due to deceasing the number of rows.
>
> It's all about your requirements and the trade-offs you are willing to
> take when it comes to flexiblity vs. performance. But there is still a
> chance of getting both right, possibly with a third attribute in the
> equation: redundancy. But that's just a guess, I don't know your
> application domain, but I guess with your mentioned joins over some
> tables, we are talking 3NF here. ;-)
>
> > We are using the superClassic with around 30-50 db- users connected. We need to keep our db as small as possible to keep the performance on a high level. This means every year we need to copy away the old data. Actually the fb- process does not often claim to the CPU's limit, so i think the bottleneck are the HDD's, where we are using usuably RAID 1 with fast server HDD's.
> >
> > My question:
> >
> > Is there any complete documentation regarding all the performance critical points for the firebird db?
>
> Helen's book (a new edition has been arrived lately) is discussing
> Firebird entirely, so I'm sure you can pick up importaning pieces from
> there.
>
> You might also investigate into commercial services from IBPhoenix,
> myself etc. which helps you to get the best out of your Firebird
> environment very quickly compared to searching Google, discussing things
> on public lists etc.
>
> I have a few performance articles or even a smallish book in mind, but
> due to lack of time and (ideally) sponsors (bing, bing; anyone listening
> *g*), I haven't came across starting with that.
>
> > What processor to use with which "db- usage- pattern"?
> > -->Up to how many core provide more speed?
> [...]

Hi,

if, then we would use enterprise ssd's. I'm thinking about a Intel ssd...

I think by using a SSD the IO should not be greatest problem anymore!?
So let's follow your list of the next "bottleneck":

RAM:
RAM costs not too much nowadays, so in case of high-performance neccessary it should not be the problem to add additional RAM. Usuably we are using servers with 10-16 GB of RAM for our system. This means firebird can use around 6-10GB of RAM: Our database has a size of ca. 1-4 GB. Being not a firebird developer and so not understanding all the basics of the pages this could mean, that the whole database fits into ram?
As page size we are already using 16K, but whats the best option for pages? Just fill the whole RAM with pages (leaving of course a buffer) or is there a point where more pages are not increasing performance anymore?

The greatest would be of course, if firebird server could report by it self, whats his bottleneck. I don't know if you internally you have some performance indexes?

Thanks in the meantime for your answers. I'll try to do an experiment with this ssd's (will take some time, as I still need to order them) and them report my results here)
If someone has further suggestion, would be great ;)