Subject Re: [firebird-support] Permission denied error creating firebird embedded database in OSX
Author Helen Borrie
At 12:01 p.m. 5/04/2013, martinsearancke wrote:
>Firstly I am not 100% sure I am using the embedded firebird client under OSX.

You're not.

>The install file that I downloaded from firebirdsql.org states that it contains Classic, Superclassic & Embedded. Unlike the windows version there does not appear to be a dedicated embedded library file in the package. I have assumed that the libfbclient.dylib (renamed libgds.dylib for my use) can be used as embedded. If I am wrong then I guess thats the problem. Can someone tell me where I get the embedded dylib file?

You want the libfbembed.dylib, which combines the Classic server with a single local client instance. libfbclient is the client-only client lib for remote Mac clients, to Superserver, Classic or Superclassic. libfbembed can also behave as a client-only client for remote Mac clients. With a local connection string (/path/to/my/database, without a server element) it is an embedded Classic server with a single, dedicated client connection. libfbembed.dylib should have been installed when you installed Classic. Try doing a 'locate' on it to find out where it is.

>If libfbclient.dylib is for embedded use also then my question remains. When I try to create the database file for the first time it fails with "Permission denied". I am trying to create this file in the users documents folder. I am using the Interbase Express components in Delphi to connect. This has served me well for years under the windows environment.

The client libraries are components of the client layer, not the server layer. IBX applications are Windows applications, which need a Windows client (fbclient.dll). The question is, what are you trying to do here? An application that uses the embedded model by definition has to be on the same OS as the embedded server. How do you plan to work a Delphi application with an embedded database and database server on MacOSX?

>The full error message is...
>Exception class EIBInterBaseError with message 'I/O error during "open O_CREAT" operation for file '/Users/martin/Documents/LightFactoryShows/default.fdb" Error while trying to create file Permission denied'

When it's clear what you tried you do, the exact reason for the error is likely to be more obvious.

Helen Borrie, Support Consultant, IBPhoenix (Pacific)
Author of "The Firebird Book" and "The Firebird Book Second Edition"
http://www.firebird-books.net