Subject Re: [firebird-support] Re: Issues with String Truncation error on insert (FB 2.1 64 bits windows server)
Author Reinier Olislagers
On 17-1-2013 9:14, karolbieniaszewski wrote:
> i do not know what do that system
> but why you need to truncate data provided by your customer?
>
> Think abut this system:
> 1. Customer can put an order for product
> and write in order info text:
> "I need 200 red boots .. but only if you can send it to me in two days"
> 2. your system store truncated data
> "I need 200 red boots"
> 3. and you send a request by week
> 4. what do customer - say "i do not need this now, get it back"

Based on the thread so far I suspect this could indeed be a problem.

However, in theory, the OP could have some error feedback/exception
reporting mechanism in his application that rolls back the transaction
on errors and reports back to the originating application if truncation
is unacceptable...
Going by the OP's posts, he thinks truncating data actually makes sense
given his business needs - no idea if all data may be truncated or only
some, etc.