Subject RE: [firebird-support] Periodic database slowdown - troubleshooting steps?
Author Bob Murdoch
-----Original Message-----
From: firebird-support@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:firebird-support@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Bob Murdoch
Sent: Monday, September 17, 2012 10:27 AM

> I have an FB 2.1.5 Classic server running on a Windows 2003 server,
> with a single hard drive for the operating system, and a 3 disk raid
5
> array for the database. We have one database on this machine, which
> is a dialect 1 database that was started on IB6.0 many years ago,
> currently at 90GB. We have sweep disabled, and each night run gbak,
> gfix –sweep, as well as reindex all tables via a script.
>
> Once or twice per month, the system slows down tremendously. One
ETL
> process typically runs at a pace of about 1000 records per 10
seconds.
> During these slow periods, the same ETL will run 1000 transactions
per
> 60-80 seconds. When processing a file with 1mil+ records, this slow
> down costs us hours.

We have taken the database offline and did a full
backup/restore/replace, removing "no reserve", and setting the page
size to 16384. The hardware is raid 5 running on 3 scsi hard drives
using NTFS 4k cluster size on Windows 2003 32bit with 4GB ram. Using
IB Analyzer on the original database we found that there were a number
of indexes with a depth of 4, and a number of tables showing
fragmentation because of record size or blobs (not sure what that is
about).

In this setup, should using a page size of 16384 with the same 2048
page buffers do a better job than the previous 8192 page size? The
ondisk size of the db is now 93.4GB vs the old one at 91.2GB, which I
suppose is the 80% page fill and the larger pages.

Thanks for looking through this.

Bob M..