Subject Re: [firebird-support] Unable to create a table with primary key field as VARCHAR of length 255
Author Mark Rotteveel
On 20-3-2012 16:26, mpp12310 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I try to create a table with the Primary Key field being VARCHAR of length 255, and run Compile, I get an error with:
>
> SQL Code = -607
> IBError Number: 335544351
>
> I checked my Database page size and it is 4096 (default).
>
> I am running FB Server 2.1.4.18393 on WinXP SP3.
>
> I am using SQL Manager Lite for Interbase/Firebird and I am using FlameRobin 0.9.3.2188; the error happens on both GUI managers.
>
> Does anyone else get this error and how did you resolve it?

Are you using UTF-8 as a character set? Indices on (VAR)CHAR fields work
only for limited lenghts:
http://www.firebirdsql.org/file/documentation/reference_manuals/reference_material/html/langrefupd25-ddl-index.html#langrefupd25-tbl-max-indexable-strlen

For a page size of 4096 it is 253 characters if you use UTF8.

Mark
--
Mark Rotteveel