Subject Re: [firebird-support] order by using parameter of stored procedure
Author Helen Borrie
At 09:26 AM 19/03/2012, Newbie wrote:
>How to best implement ORDER BY of a query when the field by which to
>order, is given as stored procedure input parameter?

It is not possible to that directly, as ORDER BY is a structural element that is pre-compiled.

>for example a typical product list where could be ordered by Name, Price
>etc fields depending on what user clicks.
>
>I tried to include it into query:
>
>for
>select f1, f2 from t1
>order by :order_by_field
>into :p1, :p2
>
>I am not getting any errors, but it doesn't order the list. how to do it
>better?

Use EXECUTE STATEMENT. Look up the Language Reference Update document for your version of Firebird to see how this is achieved. You should find it in the ../doc/ subdirectory of your installation; if not, you can download it from the Firebird website documentation area.

./heLen