Subject Re: [firebird-support] FDB networking
Author Lester Caine
Marc Gilels wrote:
> Thank you very much for the productive reply. We are using a 3rd party software written for our
> application. We have that 3rd party software installed on our server, and in the offices that need to
> "View " the database.....Our 3rd party software is installed in the offices that "view " the database.
> With that said, both the server and the stations that VIEW have firebird installed....Not notepad or Access.

The application should only be asking the server which is hosting your database
to supply the 'view' of the information. You would normally configure an
application with the server machine name and the 'name' of the database. The
file alias.conf on the server would then map that name to the local location of
the file. It is not normally necessary to know where the database is stored
other than that, and if your 3rd party supplier has not provided that
configuration then they need to explain why!

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL