Subject Re: [firebird-support] Forced writes off on Windows? - Email found in subject
Author Kjell Rilbe
Den 2012-03-10 07:29 skrev Leyne, Sean s�h�r:

> > I know it's risky, but I am willing to take the risk to gain
> performance, so
> > we've got forced writes off on our database on Windows
> > 2008 server (web edition).
> >
> > I was wondering if this still holds true for Windows 2008, as cited from
> > http://www.firebirdsql.org/manual/qsg10-howtocorrupt.html:
> >
> > "It has been observed that the Windows server platforms do not flush the
> > write cache until the Firebird service is shut down."
> >
> > Asking just to be aware of the level of risk I'm exposed to.
>
> I am not aware of any change/difference between these versions, and I
> ***never*** run with FORCED WRITES = OFF -- the risk is ***never***
> worth it.
>
> If you want performance, invest in a top level RAID controller (LSI)
> and/or Enterprise SSD based storage.

I am aware of this and the investments are in the pipe. In the meantime
it's ok for this application to simply do a nightly backup. Losing one
day's work at a rather low risk is fine. The server is hosted with good
power backups etc and the server has been stable so far and is not
running much else.

Kjell

--
Kjell Rilbe