Subject Re: [firebird-support] Is windows better than Linux for Firebird 2.5 64 bit?
Author André Knappstein
That's a welcome thread and I would like to jump it, because I have
the same interest/question. I don't want to spam the support
list, so please, what's the best place to ask for available (paid)
services around Firebird/Linux combinations?

We are talking about a middle-sized company here. 50 seats.

> Hello, trskopo!

> Tuesday, November 6, 2012, 10:05:00 AM, you wrote:

t>> Hi all,
t>> I am considering moving from windows to linux, but not sure if it is a good idea.
t>> Any one can give me a hints about this matter?
t>> Is it Linux better than windows on the same hardware, regarding performance/security/etc?
t>> And if it's better, what distro should I choose and what file system for database file?

> 1. Windows can be better or slower than Linux on same hardware,
> depends on hardware and existing drivers for hardware for Linux and
> Windows. Difference can be up to 30% of performance.

> 2. You can choose linux distro by your preferrence. If you don't know
> any Linux well, then, you will have troubles.

> 3. file system performance on linux, and performance of linux itsef
> depends on lot of factors - journaling, barrier, kernel, and hardware
> drivers.

> Thus, the only choice for you is to test it by yourself.

mit freundlichen Grüßen,

André Knappstein
EDV und Controlling
beta Eigenheim- und Grundstücksverwertungsgesellschaft mbH
Hafenweg 4
59192 Bergkamen-Rünthe

Telefon: +49 2389 9240 140
Telefax: +49 2389 9240 150
e-mail: knappstein@...

Amtsgericht Hamm Nr. B 420
Geschäftsführer: Achim Krähling, Dirk Salewski und Matthias Steinhaus

USt-IDNr.: DE 125215402