Subject Re: [firebird-support] gbak from a Delphi application
Author Helen Borrie
At 08:19 AM 15/04/2011, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I need to be able to backup a Firebird database from a remote server to my local computer. AFAIK, it's only possible to do so using gbak. (Let me know if I'm wrong)

You are wrong.

>From what I've read, most 3rd party tools are using the Services API and it forces the backup process to run on the server then forcing the .fbk file to be created on the server. (Still, let me know if I'm wrong)

You are right, then wrong again . ;-) Services API - yes - and "3rd party tools" could just as well be your client application. Use the Services *components* that are in your Delphi interface package. If you want the backup file to be written back to the remote client then set up a network share at the client and make it the destination for the backup file. (The taboo on shared locations applies only to databases, not to backup files!)

Note that, if this remote client is more remote than the local network, the time taken for the backup could be considerable.

It is more common, I think, to have the backup written to a share on the server's local storage and then copy the entire file to the remote node once the backup has finished.

./hb