Subject Re: [firebird-support] Could you help me with basic SELECT queries, please?
Author Ann Harrison
On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 11:50 AM, truewodzu <truewodzu@...> wrote:
> Hi guys.
>
> I just don't get why this SELECT statements doesn't work as they work on the MS SQL Server. I know, two different engines. But what am I doing wrong?

Generally, what you're doing wrong is omitting the FROM clause in your
statements. The SQL Standard and Firebird both require that a SELECT
have some source for the data it returns, even when it's returning a fixed
value.

The statement SELECT *, (1+1) FROM CITIES runs into the standard SQL
syntax for a select list...

<select list> ::=
<asterisk>

You can either have an unqualified asterisk, or a comma separated
list.

Good luck,

Ann