Subject Re: How to update table structure with SQL?
Author neighbour.kerry
--- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, "Alan McDonald" <alan@...> wrote:

> Your database, you version it. You keep a library of scripts which move from
> each version to each next version. Some updates require several scripts be
> run to bring it up to date.
> You make a table in your database with version info in it so you can manage
> it and query it when required, then update it after you run the script(s).

Ugg!! No way. For a start, I have just taken over this project from another programmer - there is no way I know what is out there. So even if this system was attractive, it is not in place.

Then it requires that I keep the script to update each and every version. I have used this system in the past, and it is not a pleasant option, but I admit it does work.

No - I have also used what I propose here - and it is perfect - as long as the database supports DDL. Firebird is turning out to be pretty pretty limited in this area, so I guess I will have to do it all in Delphi.