Subject Re: Malformed string
Author jvpgr
--- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, Dimitry Sibiryakov <sd@...> wrote:

> > I don't have any problem inserting or reading greek characters from the database, so I presume that the connection does allow Greek characters (WIN 1253)
>
> Your presumption is wrong. Character set NONE just don't care about
> kind of characters you are using. It is working as long as your fields
> are also defined with character set NONE. But for triggers it is not
> true - their bodies (in FB2.1 and above) are defined with character set
> UTF8.
> Firebird have no idea how to convert NONE to UTF8 thus the error.
>
> SY, SD.

Ok. I understand and thank you, setting the communication char set of FlameRobin to UTF8 solved the problem, but I have a possibly naive question: the windows charset is win1253, if this means that the data entered in the database fields is also win1253, and the trigger is in UTF8, then when the trigger is executed what will be the result of a comparison such as

if(new.field = '<greek chars>')
then ...

thanks again Dimitry for solving my problem

Yannis