Subject Re: [firebird-support] Recommend me a Linux distro for Firebird
Author Lester Caine
Milan Babuskov wrote:
> Jorge Andres Brugger wrote:
>> I want to set up a linux+firebird server. I want to:
>> - Run the most recent stable Firebird version
>> - Use package manager to install and update Firebird
>
> This rarely goes hand in hand, but I believe it narrows down your
> options to Ubuntu or Mandriva.

I'm becoming rather disillusioned with Mandriva. While the 2007 builds
worked nicely hardware wise, the builds WITH Firebird in have not been
so transparent in other areas, and the 2009 builds are simply a pain -
when one is already used to unix/linux! I think a lot of the
distributions are starting to suffer the 'windows' effect, and adding
facilities and desktops that actually detract from a good server
environment.

I've recently droped back to OpenSUSE10.3 which restored much of the
base facilities I'd been missing in in Mandriva 2008.x and FIREBIRD has
no problem on many of the distributions, just copying an installation
pack from the Firebird site. It is KDE4 that seems to have lost the
plot, and while other distributions are taking that change a little
slower, Mandriva seems to have screwed up KDE3 before all of the
functions actually work in KDE4. Backing up a database to cd/dvd would
be useful, but I have yet to do that ON a Mandriva 2009.0 machine :(

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL