Subject Re: [firebird-support] gen_uuid() question
Author Helen Borrie
At 10:05 AM 11/03/2009, you wrote:
>I starting using this function, however I wonder about the kind of values it generates. These are two examples:
>
>p`Ç#ÌLš-^·ý®Èœ
>¥—pN¡¬B®"2}r›
>
>(Out of interest, this values can't even be edited with IBExpert while inspecting the data)
>
>Well, naive of me, I was expecting something more like:
>
>fa4ead15-b77b-4104-a3af-6a49f35828db
>
>So is this the normal behavior of gen_uuid() or am I missing something?

Maybe you're missing a suitable viewer for binary data. ;-)

The value returned is in character set OCTETS (alias BINARY). I don't use IBExpert but I'd expect it to have some way to interpret OCTETS data, e.g., in a hex viewer you would see it as pairs of nybbles.

But if you are trying to store the output of gen_uuid() to a column that's not defined as character set octets then you have a little more work to do. ;-)

./hb