Subject RE: [firebird-support] Trouble with Windows 7: Installing and starting SuperServer 2.1.3 from ZIP package
Author Alan McDonald
> Alan McDonald schrieb:
> > that's not what it says. The MSI is the preferred install method for
> shared
> > installs beyond XP.
>
> Ah, OK. Perhaps I got that wrong because English is not my native
> language.
>
> So I have to start "system32/vccrt8_Win32.msi" from my installer?

no, just run the installer as administrator if you want to install as shared
assemblies.

> BTW, in the "Software" control panel, there are already two
> packages which seem to be installed by some Windows Update:
>
> Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 ATL Update kb973924 - x86 9.0.30729.4148
> Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.17

after you install these libraries as shared assemblies you will have
"MSI to redistribute MS VZ2005 CRT libraries"
The support information link will reveal
Publisher: The Firebird Project
Version: 8.0.50727.42

Don't confuse runtimes for VS2005 version 8 with anything to do with C++
2008.

> Do they have anything to do with FB's runtime libs?
>
> > for a
> >> "private assembly" it's enough to copy 3 DLLs to the FB/bin
> >> directory, but just 2 DLLs are included in the ZIP file...

to all folders which have dynamic linked library dependencies on these
assemblies.

> > if you are determined to install private assemblies, then yes.
>
> Hm, just copying some files within the installation process is
> *alot* easier than calling some external programs/functions/
> installers. But it doesn't seem to work (and the 3rd DLL, if
> required, is missing).

The full install of Firebird server runs this very same MSI as part of the
install. If you choose to install from ZIp then it's up to you to make it
work.
Alan

> But meanwhile, I tried the MSI file. It installed "MSI to
> redistribute MS VS2005 CRT libraries" successfully, but even
> after calling instreg/instsvc/instclient manually from an Admin
> cmd shell, nothing changes (Guardian is started and stopped,
> Server does not respond to start request, error 1053).
>
> Do I have to reboot after MSI installation? I'll give this
> a try...

I forget now but I have no idea where you are up to really. I started this
line of query and at least this is revealing that you have not installed
correctly so far.