Subject Re: nbackup / gbak interoperation
Author dkeith2
--- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, Dimitry Sibiryakov <sd@...> wrote:

> > Restore the file using gbak, overwriting the original file
>
> You can't overwrite original file as long as somebody is working with
> it, including nbackup.
>
> > I'm thinking this would be a way to reclaim lost space in an OLTP system's db file without kicking off the users
>
> There is no such things as "lost space" in Firebird DB. Database
> pages are reused.
>
> SY, SD.

Man you guys are tough! Ok did anyone follow the idea? 'Lost Space' = 'Unused space' in db pages, i.e. record is created and later deleted, now the space that was held by that record is unused. Did I get it right that time??

The goal being to reclaim 'UNUSED SPACE' in db pages from records that have been deleted, is there any way to do this while the database is online? Using NBackup or any other approach?

If you need to correct my terminology, please do so; only could you please answer the question?

Thanks.