Subject Re: [firebird-support] Steps for Bulk insert / upload text file for INSERT from EXT TABLE
Author Kjell Rilbe
As for external table, the format is "raw". In other words, FB expects
the data to appear in FB's native form, "side by side". You would
probably want to use a format like this for your sets, assuming ANSI
charset (iso-8859-1 or win-1252 for example):

01A<linebreak>
02A<linebreak>
03A<linebreak>
04A<linebreak>
05A<linebreak>
06A<linebreak>
01B<linebreak>
02B<linebreak>
06P<linebreak>

This external table would be declared as:

create table "MyExternalTable"
external file 'C:\MyDataFiles\MyExternalData.txt' (
"Data" char(3) character set WIN1252,
"Dummy" char(2) character set WIN1252
);

If you need UTF8 or any variable length charset, then your file should
pad to N * max_byte_per_char for that charset.

The Dummy column will contain the linebreaks.
You could also save the file as:

01A02A03A04A05A06A01B02B...06P

Then you can/must skip the Dummy column.

For numeric data, the best option is to write the values in text format
in the external file and declare as varchar, then cast in SQL to the
desired numeric format. otheriwse you'll have to store the numerics in
binary format in the external file, which makes that file very hard to
read for humans.

You'll need to edit a firebird.conf file entry as follows:

ExternalFileAccess = Restrict C:\MyDataFiles

Restart the Firebird service for that change to take effect .(For
superserver, that is. Classic will have a new process per connection so
I suppose it will take effect for each new connection).

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Kjell

--