Subject Re: [firebird-support] Re: Raid 0 or not ?
Author Steve Wiser
We saw this as well. Our normal production db server has the OS
partition running in a RAID1 setup and the DB storage partition running
in RAID5 (all hardware based RAID). If the controller card goes then you
are screwed because it is very difficult to get the RAID containers
built and working on a different card! We are now moving all of the
production DBs to a SAN with redundant cards (and keeping additional
copies of the dbs on other servers).

-steve

ionutz gorea wrote:

> Reading all the posts for this topic regarding data security with
> RAID, I can conclude I'm the unluckiest person from this list: on a
> RAID 5 with 3 HDD online and one as a hotspare what do you do when the
> RAID controller stops working?....replace it with a similar one?..not
> possible due to the unique internal checksum......get the data or
> parts of it from the hardisks?...impossible to do that for any type of
> RAID except maybe the mirroring one. And the RAID controller wasn't a
> cheap one. Fortunately for me I had nightly back-ups and I was able to
> restore the data in the previous day state.
> My advice is ALWAYS set up a back-up system on a different machine,
> don't fully trust the RAID.
>
> Ionutz
>

> ________________________________
> From: svanderclock <svanderclock@...

Steve Wiser
President
Specialized Business Software
6325 Cochran Road, Unit 1
Solon, OH 44139

www.specializedbusinesssoftware.com
(440) 542-9145 - fax (440) 542-9143

This message and any files transmitted with it may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. They are intended solely for the use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, distributing, copying, disclosing, or reliance on the contents of this communication is strictly prohibited. If this has reached you in error, kindly destroy this message and notify the sender immediately. Thank you for your assistance.

We attempt to sweep harmful content (e.g. viruses) from e-mail and attachments, however we cannot guarantee their safety and can accept no liability for any resulting damage. The recipient is responsible to verify the safety of this message and any attachments before accepting them.