Subject Re: [firebird-support] Re: Raid 0 or not ?
Author Kjell Rilbe
Leyne, Sean wrote:

> > For a Database of 20 GB, regarding the speed, is it better to use RAID
> > 0 or not ? I read that read 0 is twice more faster BUT is it true when
> > we speak about only one file (the .GDB) ?
>
> RAID 0 is a little faster than RAID 1 when it comes to read performance.
>
> However, but the reliability/resiliency which RAID 1 provides makes it
> "illogical" (read: DO NOT DO IT!!!!) to use RAID 0 for any production
> purposes.

I wonder, am I missing something? In general you don't hesitate to put
single-disk systems in production environments. Is RAID0 more prone to
crashes than a single disk? Obviously, the expected MTBF for a set of
two disks is shorter than just one of them, but is it really *that* much
shorter? In other words, if I feel quite at ease with a single disk,
should I really worry a lot about a 2-disk RAID0 system?

Kjell
--
Kjell Rilbe