Subject Re: INET/inet_error: read errno = 9 messages + Server becomes unresponsive
Author jay_r42@ymail.com
Well, its seems you have certainly tried a few options to cure this problem.

This has only really started to be a problem for us on one of our servers after we moved the database to a new machine a few weeks ago. We were previously running the database on a dell poweredge 1850, with the same firebird version (2.1.2.18118 SS), and it had been pretty much rock solid for 6 months. We only moved to the Dell R710 due to it having multiple disks for failover.

We also upgraded another server that was running firebird 1.5.3 to 2.1.2.18118 and also new hardware (dell R610 + debian 5), and this does have the 'INET/inet_error: read errno = 9 messages' but not as often, and as of yet has not crashed (been up for 50 days with no issues).

We also have another server running Redhat 9 with a 1.5.3 SS version of the firebird database, and that also has the INET errors, and has been having some problems with random crashing (i.e. firebird process still running, but not allowing connections) but after a restart is OK again. The last occurence of this was on Oct 12th, but it has been running fine since then.

So, this problem is very 'mysterious' in that it does not seem to follow a logical pattern, making it hard to diagnose where the actual problem is! i.e. it does not seem to be a specific hardware, DB version, OS problem....

How do you connect to firebird, is this through a client? We are connecting via a PHP application, not sure if this does have any relation to the problem though.

Is your database running any better on Windows 2008? What version of Linux were you running?