Subject Re: [firebird-support] Gbak slow across network
Author Alexandre Benson Smith
slalom91 wrote:
> Good Morning,
>
> I am trying to troubleshoot an issue in which gbak is terribly slow
> while trying to back up a database from a remote server to a local
> drive. Server A is executing the following command
>
> "gbak ServerB:c:\databaseA.fdb c:\temp\backupa.fdb -b -g -l -user
> SYSDBA -pas masterkey"
>
> This command results in the database backup file landing on Server A's
> c:\temp folder. This is what I am after. However, it takes almost 8
> hours to complete. The database size is 11GB and the backup file is
> 8GB. I am assuming I am using this wrong or perhaps may be a better
> way to get this done. The goal is to end up with the backup file on
> Server A.

A shot in the dark...

Don't know if it's your case, but once I found gbak running very slow
trougth a LAN, I had set the network card to run on 100mpbs half-duplex
(auto negotiating was seting to 100mpbs full-duplex) and the speedy was
increased *a lot* !

Give it a try.

By the way, how much time the back-up process take to run on the same
computer using a TCP connection ? Something like:

gbak localhost:c:\databaseA.fdb c:\temp\backupa.fdb -b -g -l -user SYSDBA -pas masterkey

see you !

--
Alexandre Benson Smith
Development