Subject Re: firebird.conf for HP Proliant Server
Author frodo_haija
Thanks for your answer

Last evening we have testet the same database and firebird version
2.0.3 on a PC with a dualcore processor and 1 GB Ram.

The speed is within the application is localy much higher.

We have also tested, classic and ss. But without the suggestion from
Helen with the parameters.

Over the network the speed isn't significant better.

I am a Network-Administrator and not Database guru like you. Is there
form me a way to check the index with a tool or is the way like in
the other post wiht gstat -i?

Greetings

Haija

--- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, Aage Johansen <aagjohan@...>
wrote:

> frodo_haija wrote:
> > I have to solve performance problems with firebird 2.0.3 running
on a
> > HP Proliant Server. This Server owns Intel Xenon Prozessors and
3,5 GB
> > Ram. The OS is Windows 2003 SP2.
> >
> > Is there a description whitch parameters i have to tune?
> > I'm verry newby and my KnowHow on Firebird is very low.
> > The firebird.conf file is not tuned (all lines are remarked wiht
#)

> You will have to test any changes with your particular situation.
>
> You could change "Number of cached database pages" (and restart the
> server). The page size will also be of some importance (change it
> when doing a restore). Depending on circumstances, I mostly use
8000
> cache pages and 8KB page size - this will need just 64MB. If you
> connect to several databases they will each need
CachePages*PageSize
> of RAM. With your 3+GB you don't need to worry.
>
> Having created "good indexes" is very important. Identify slow
> queries, and analyse the plan (from the optimaizer). Create (or
> drop!) indexes as required, and retest.
>
> Hardware: Fast disks are important - the faster the better,
15000rpm
> is very good. There is probably adequate level2 cache on the Xeon
> processors, but a good RAID controller with some RAM can also
> help. Different RAID configurations may also affect
> performance. Many people like RAID5, I try to use RAID1
(mirroring9