Subject Re: [firebird-support] Re: gds_$receive failed error using gBak
Author Helen Borrie
At 09:51 AM 10/06/2008, you wrote:

>> > OS : Windows Vista Bussines
>> > Firebird 1.5.5
>>
>> Is there any antivirus or backup software on the system? If so, it
>> must be set to exclude the fdb files while your firebird service is
>> running. Are you in a habit of making filesystem level copies of the
>> fdb file while the service is running, or connecting to the database
>> during a restore?
>>
>> Adam
>>

>Yes, there is McAfee SecurityCenter and is configured for excluding
>fdb files. I'm not in the habit of making filesystem level copies of
>the fdb file (I did it time ago but it became into trouble). I usually
>run gbak every day at noon while users are connected to de server, but
>never ever before had this corruption.
>
>Every time I make a restore users are not allowed to connect to de DB.

Various elements of your progressive problem description suggest that you have physical corruption on the hard disk. For now, it is causing parts of records to be unreadable - unpredictable parts under unpredictable conditions. If you have Forced Writes ON, then I would pay close attention to the condition of the hard disk. Once a disk starts to die, everything stored on it is at risk and every write has the potential to cause more damage. I hope your backups are stored on a different disk...

If you have Forced Writes OFF on Windows then this is probably the "disaster that was waiting to happen", regardless of the condition of your HDD.

./heLen