Subject Re: Accessing Database in External HDD
Author Adam
--- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, "Mustafa ÂȘimÂșek"
<mussimsek@...> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> One of my customer buy an external lacie HDD with ethernet. He plud
> this device his local network with adsl modem. He can access Hdd over
> Tcp/ip and he can use this device mapping drive Z from windows.
>
> We use firevbird 2.0. He want to transfer fdb file this external drive
> and use from this external hdd. But firebird doesn't access this
> database in external HDD. i try these connection strings:
>
> "z:\data\test.fdb"
> "127.0.0.1:z:\data\test.fdb"
> "192.168.1.4:z:\data\test.fdb" (customer ip)
> "192.168.1.7:c:\data\test.fdb" (external Hdd ip)
>
> we receive "unavaible database" error.
>
> How can i connect? is there require any settings on adsl modem?

You can't do this.

A database must physically reside on the SAME hardware as the engine.
The locks used by the engine to protect itself against corruption do
not work reliably on a network drive.

There is a setting in Firebird.conf to override this protection.

--

<snip/>
***WARNING*** ***WARNING*** ***WARNING*** ***WARNING***

--

There is a pretty strong hint there that the developers of Firebird
don't think such a configuration is advisable. On top of that, I can't

Adam