Subject RE: [firebird-support] What hardware will I need for my DB?
Author Carrell Alex
Over a Wlan. I presume you mean wide area network.

FB works fine. Just parts of the software dependent on database access will
run slower than normal.

...But I would recommend local connections and have users use programs via
Terminal services/VPN etc.

Using over wlan, I think the worst problem is the network, its reliabilty,
quality. I think the only factors you influence are the amounts of data
moving over it. So the software needs to to fetch as little from database as
possible, and access it as little as possible. The reason being that users
may think a program is not good, due to sluggish response times due to
network speeds , network failure, so on.
We have 4MB connection here for several sites, and in emergencies I and a
few others connect directly, but we expect the software to be slow and try
not to do much. The two dozen users who connect in from wlan come in via
windows terminal services/remote desktop.
Teriminal services/VPN etc just compress and pass the bits of the screen
that change, and that's not much data so its much faster to use.

Another option is write a web front end. Which is what I think I will be
doing next.