Subject Re: Facing Problems in executing the Select query
Author rambabu_piridi
--- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, "Alan McDonald" <alan@...>
wrote:

> > (since
> > >
> > > I'm not sure if you're aware of but FB needs a transation even
for
> > read only
> > > operations (like SELECT), so whether or not you've 'explicitly'
> > started one,
> > > the transaction was created (by your 'connection components')
and
> > (hope)
> > > commited at some point.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Anderson
> > >

> > I see.
> > In our case, as i had earlier mentioned, each query would be
within
> > its own transaction. When we execute the same query for say 40
> > times, the number of i/o reads is comparabable to the number of
i/o
> > writes. However, when the loop goes to around 10,000, the number
of
> > i/o writes is very much larger than the number of i/o reads.
> > Any clue?
> >
> > Bipasha
> >

> are you committing each transaction before starting the next? or
are you
> leaving the first transaction open until the last is ready to
commit?
> and that's all you're doing in this 10,000 cycle loop?
>
> start transaction
> select data
> commit transaction
> loop
>
> ?
> Alan

Yes, only the query is being looped in this 10,000 loop.
We are not starting & committing the transaction explicitly, since
it is only a select query.
To measure the I/O activity we are checking the I/O read/ write
values against the firebird service (fbservice.exe) in task manager
while the query is in execution.

Bipasha