Subject Re: How does firebird handle null values?
Author Adam
--- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, "Fabio Gomes" <fabioxgn@...>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have a database that is too normalized, and this normalization is
adding
> too much complexity to our code, so we are going to take all the
tables that
> are too normalized and join them into just one table.

With respect, that is usually a bad idea. I mean I know you can go too
far with normalisation, for example many tables are named entities, so
you could have

NamedEntity
(
NamedEntityID
Name
);

Company
(
CompanyID
NamedEntityID
etc
).

In fact, many things implemented by domains (pseudo Boolean types,
gender definitions etc) are arguably a convenient shortcut (but there
are some performance reasons to use a domain over a lookup column)

> But still we are thinking about how would be the best way to do that,
> joining everything possible into one big and fat table, or leaving some
> tables normalized.

Or have the best of both worlds. Create a view that looks like this
big fat table using unions and joins.

Adam