Subject Re: Performance lost with lots of connections
Author selensky
At this very moment it works fine :(, but here is what it says:

Database header page information:
Flags 0
Checksum 12345
Generation 177475
Page size 4096
ODS version 10.1
Oldest transaction 63141
Oldest active 116834
Oldest snapshot 64166
Next transaction 177468
Bumped transaction 1
Sequence number 0
Next attachment ID 0
Implementation ID 16
Shadow count 0
Page buffers 10000
Next header page 0
Database dialect 3
Creation date Jul 28, 2007 13:48:19
Attributes

Variable header data:
Sweep interval: 20000
*END*

The big gap between in the transactions is due to the way the
application is built. If a user wants to enter data, they start a
transaction, enter the data and then commit. The rollback is used
when they don't want to save the data (in order to enter a document
you have to insert data in about 5 tables and it becomes very
complex to "undo" without the transactions). I know this is not
good, but it is out of the question to change it (everything is
built around it).

Also, we have users that run complex reports and often leave the
open on screen for hours.

I have implemented a feature that'll use the transaction idle time
in order to close the transaction if it stays idle for a long time
(say more than 10 minutes), but it is not turned on at the moment.
Would that help a lot?

Can someone explain why I have such a low value in the Oldeest
shapshot, while the Oldest Active is twice bigger?

Note: at this very moment, there is a report which seems to have
messed up somehow and is now been running for 19 hours. But that has
never happened before.

The performance is OK at the moment, even with the big gap.

--- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, "simonbenedicic"