Subject RE: [firebird-support] Re: Query performance with PLAN
Author Mercea Paul
Hi Alexandre,

Make this tool ….. open source….if is possible!

Best regards,

Paul

From: firebird-support@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:firebird-support@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Alexandre Benson
Smith
Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2007 4:14 PM
To: firebird-support@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [firebird-support] Re: Query performance with PLAN

Anderson Farias wrote:
> Just to comment on...
>
> I find FB optimizer just great! it finds the best path almost for all
> queries... and when it does not it´s problably becouse you'd not give it
the
> chance to... some changes in the query or indices will help.
>
> As Dmitry said, it can´t be perfect since it does not know every
> query/tables/records/indices/crazyness someone will have... but thats not
> big deal...

I second that... And I can say that is *very few* situations where I
need to use the +0 trick, emphasys on very few !

> And just to remember, there's a freeware tool out there called
> 'IBPlanalyzer' that's JUST GREAT helping on this job -- unfortunatly is
made
> for Interbase, but I use it for FB 1.5 with no problem (did not test
against
> 2.0/2.1 yet). Hope someday FB gains a supertool like that too.

It works, but in some cases (plans not understood by IBPlanalyzer) it
hangs completely, or does not show it properly on the treeview and so on.

I am working on a clone tool, I have tested a number of queries that
IBPlanalyzer does not understand and my tool nevers hanged, but still
can't parse all the plans, It's on the begining of the development, ( I
had not touched the code for a month or so, my time is very tight right
now) but I will take on ASAP.

When the tool is available I will let you know.