Subject Re: [firebird-support] Re: Query performance with PLAN
Author Dmitry Yemanov
Tom Conlon wrote:

> Our app uses a general-purpose querying tool that nowadays has to
> conditionally generate +0 or || '' to avoid FB using indexes(!)
> that would otherwise work against good performance - this is madness.

FB2 should be much more clever in choosing indices. Do you still have
many issues with this version?

> Did Jim (Starkey) and the earliest Interbase developers EVER have this
> problem sorted with the original architecture, does anyone know?

I'm sure it was never addressed properly.

> Finally, my own personal belief is that this item should be at the
> *absolute top* of any FB development work items and to stay there
> until resolved.

Believe or not, but it's practically impossible to create an ideal
optimizer. If you have test cases that prove the current optimization
decisions wrong, feel free to enter a ticket to the tracker.

Dmitry