Subject RE: [firebird-support] Re: How do I "lock tables" in FireBird SQL?
Author Nigel Weeks
I'd step past the idea of locking entirely, and build a versioning
architecture.

You'd have a table containing a version id, a timestamp, and then the file
id/name of the file.

That way, nobody blocks anyone else's edits, you can always retrieve a
previous version, and no-one loses changes.

CREATE TABLE tbl_file (
int_fileid INTEGER NOT NULL, /* The unique file identifier */
str_filename VARCHAR(256), /* If you need to store the filename here
as well */
str_desc VARCHAR(2048), /* If you would like a description of the file
*/
blb_notes BLOB SUB-TYPE TEXT,
PRIMARY KEY(int_fileid)
);

CREATE TABLE tbl_fileversion (
int_versionid INTEGER NOT NULL, /* The Version Identifier */
dtm_stamp TIMESTAMP default 'now' NOT NULL /* When this version was
submitted */
int_fileid INTEGER NOT NULL, /* The ID of the file stored in the
repository */
str_note VARCHAR(512), /* Commit notes - something about this version
*/
PRIMARY KEY(int_versionid, int_fileid),
FOREIGN KEY(int_fileid) REFERENCES tbl_file (int_fileid)
);

When a file is registered, you create a record in tbl_file, and a
corresponding version record in tbl_fileversion.
With each alteration, you simply add another record into tbl_fileversion for
the file, and write the new file to disk.

I'd write the filenames on the server like this:
[fileid]_[versionid]_[filename]
or, in a nice directory structure like:
/substr(-2,2,[fileid])/[fileid]_[versionid]_[filename]

So an example of a file changed three times (Over a perios of time, with
changes to other files in between) would be
100_34_Budget Plans for FinYear07-08.doc
100_371_Budget Plans for FinYear07-08.doc
100_499_Budget Plans for FinYear07-08.doc

or in the nice directory structure:
/00/100_499_Budget Plans for FinYear07-08.doc

Tada! Non-blocking, multi-user, multi-versioning, and no-one ever loses
their work.

Nige.

Nigel Weeks
Tech Support and Systems Developer