Subject Re: [firebird-support] fdb file not working on mac
Author Helen Borrie
At 11:30 AM 14/07/2007, you wrote:
>I created a firebird database on my windows PC. It was originally
>created w/version 1.5. It worked fine when I upgraded to v2 on
>windows. I installed firebird v2.0.1 on my mac, copied the database
>over and it doesn't work. When I try to connect, I get an error
>message reading "*.fdb is not a valid database".

>So there are 2
>questions: 1) Should a database created on a windows box work if
>copied to some other platform, like Mac or Linux.

Yes if the chip architecture is the same, no otherwise. Your problem
here is a thing called "Endianness". i86 (the Intel architecture) is
"little Endian" while the Motorola chip architecture is "big
Endian". (It's to do with which "end" (or side) the significant bits
are stored on.)

>2) Does it matter
>that the database was originally created w/v1.5 and now I'm trying to
>use it w/2.0.1 on different platform?

A read of the documentation would quickly lead you to the right
answers. Without giving intense details (which you need to study)
you create a transportable gbak backup under the Windows server for
the database you want to source from, then you use gbak on the
destination server to restore the gbak backup.

./heLen