Subject Re: [firebird-support] Re: how to protect DATA
Author jesus martinez
Adam thanks for your reply.

i know that security is much decreased since the
phisical file is going to be copied into the
clients' machines.

i also know that anyone with the time and interest in
can make a reverse ingeniering into the APP and try
to find the key for decryptation.

it is a balance of cost/benefit

we think that encrypting (ofuscating) the data is
enought. the problem is how to do it with FB.

any idea ?

thanks in advance,
j.-

> --- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, jesus
> martinez
> <jesus_martinez1967@...> wrote:
> >

> > hi guys, thanks for answering so soon. i really
> > appreciate that.
> >
> > my client is a journalist that takes notes of
> > different articles provided by different sources.
> > he also classified those information by his own
> > criteria.
> >
> > his criteria, obviously, give his clients the
> value
> > they are paying for.
> >
> > my application is just a "browser" of this
> classified
> > information.
> >
> > since my application and the database file are
> > going to be installed on his clients' machines,
> > it is an important thing to encrypt the database.
>
> Rule: Once an untrusted person has access to your
> fdb file, you have
> no security.
>
> If that is TRULY your requirement, then I am afraid
> there is nothing
> you can do, regardless of database engine or
> encryption. The best you
> could do is hide it through obscurity. I would
> suggest you don't
> distribute the database, but rather host it on a
> centralised server
> which your browser can then connect to on-demand.
>

> Adam

Preguntá. Respondé. Descubrí.
está en Yahoo! Respuestas (Beta).
¡Probalo ya!