Subject Re: [firebird-support] Remote DB Backup
Author Helen Borrie
At 06:57 AM 6/07/2007, you wrote:
>Greets:
>
>I have a DB that is on the 'Net, and I want to back it up remotely
>(i.e. from my laptop). Is there an easy method (or not so easy
>programmatic method) to get this done??

Yes. It's called the Services API.

How "programmatic" do you want it to be?

-- You can run gbak remotely using the -se[rvice_mgr] switch and the
various switches that are required for remote access. You need to
use the login credentials of either SYSDBA or the database
owner. The remote system user will need to have access privileges to
write a file (the backup) to the remote filesystem. Easy.

-- If you are using a data access layer that supports the Services
API you can write a utility for SYSDBA or the db owner to do the same
thing from your own application. Easy.

-- If you write your applications using the API calls directly, then
you'll already know that you have to invent the wheel yourself and
make the appropriate calls to the Services API calls yourself. Not
quite so easy.

./heLen