Subject Re: [firebird-support] Varchar field length
Author Ann W. Harrison
Sasa Mihajlovic wrote:

> I have some tables with fields of varchar type, when I set field length
> to (for exaple) 30 char, firebird can store 90 char, where am I wrong?
>
> FIREBIRD 2.0
> PAGE_SIZE 8192
> DEFAULT CHARACTER SET UNICODE_FSS

UNICODE_FSS has variable length characters. Falcon estimates the
character length as three bytes. Most common characters in English
and unaccented characters in Latin1 are stored in a single byte
in UNICODE_FSS, so Falcon stores three times as many characters
as the field declaration allows. That's probably wrong, but it's
the way it works.

Regards,

Ann