Subject Re: [firebird-support] Re: aliases.conf API?
Author Richard Wesley
Thanks for the reply.

On Jun 7, 2007, at 16:28, Adam wrote:

> --- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, Richard Wesley <hawkfish@...>
> wrote:
>>
>> Is there an API (service?) for enumerating the names of the databases
>> listed in the aliases.conf file?
>
> No.
>
> If there was, I for one would hope it would be disabled by default.
> There is a real security concern to publicise the database list.

Yeah, I had a feeling that was going to be the answer. Some
databases (e.g. SQL Server and MySQL) publish this list via ODBC;
others (e.g. Postgres, Firebird) view it as a security risk.
Postgres actually uses the database name as one of the authentication
parameters.

> I would like to use it to drive a
>> remote connection GUI. I have heard rumours, but I can't find
>> anything.
>
> It would be trivial to write one yourself.

Tableau is a db client, so I am not in a position to mess with
customer servers.
Richard Wesley Senior Software Developer Tableau
Software
Visit: http://www.trytableau.com/now.html