Subject Re: [firebird-support] Re: Using an external table for logging
Author Helen Borrie
At 09:07 AM 7/06/2007, you wrote:
>--- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, "robertgilland"
><robert_gilland@...> wrote:
> >
> > Yes there is a major problem there.
> > Once Firebird opens an external file.
> > Nothing other than Firebird can write to it.
> >
> > You want Firebird to log to the external table,
> > but you probably want your delphi app to write
> > to the table as well.
> >
> > Firebird will not allow this, unfortunately.
> >

>Well, no, I wanted Firebird to do the writing. The
>apps would do inserts to the table instead of writing
>to the file, which is better because (1) the log data
>is consolidated and (2) the log data's not on the
>user's machine where they can misplace or corrupt it.
>
>Using a regular table for this kind of logging is often
>not suitable because the log data can get rolled back;
>an external table doesn't have that problem. I was
>wondering if anyone else had tried this before.

Yes, it works fine under low load. If you're thinking about using it
to log everyone's activity in an environment larger than stand-alone
or a very small workgroup, I think you could find it would become a
serious bottleneck. Experiment well before committing yourself to the idea...

You might like to look at Thomas Steinmaurer's IBLogManager utilities
(or maybe wait till Thomas responds to your post himself). There is
a paper by Thomas on the subject from the 2005 conference - visit the
Conference 2005 page of the IBPhoenix website and right-click on the
paper's title to download it (it's a zipped file, probably a
Powerpoint prezzo).

./heLen

./heLen