Subject Re: [firebird-support] Connection to a remote db
Author Helen Borrie
At 08:00 AM 4/06/2007, you wrote:
>Good Morning!
>
> I have FB 2 SS on my XP development box and another on my Windows
>2000 Server.
>
> I also have FB 2 client dlls on another XP machine.
>
> I have tried various methods of connecting to the Employee db on
>one machine from another machine.
>
> I have tried with Firebird ODBC and SQL Manager 2005.
>
> With ODBC on both machines, I have tried
> servername:path\employee.fdb
> servername:path/employee.fdb
> These errored with:
> Open database 'Server:d:\Program
>Files\Firebird\Firebird_2_0\examples\empbuild\EMPLOYEE.FDB' failed
>
> With SQL Man (dev box to server):
> \\Server\d\Program
>Files\Firebird\Firebird_2_0\examples\empbuild\EMPLOYEE.FDB. This one
>errors out with: Connection failed. Server is stopped or unproper
>client library is used to establish connection to the server. SQL
>Code: -905.
> IB Error Number 335544375

The text above is not Firebird error text. This Firebird message for
this error is "Database unavailable". It occurs when the server is
not running. However, your syntax for WNET connection is wrong. It should be

\\Server\d:\Program Files\Firebird\Firebird_2_0\examples\empbuild\EMPLOYEE.FDB

and I assume the word "Server" is replaced by the actual hostname of
the machine in your actual connection string and "d" is an actual
physical drive or partition on the W2K server, not a mapping.

Check whether there is a record for the server in
..\system32\drivers\etc\hosts on the client. Then ping the server
from the client.

> (I have confirmed the connection to localhost works.)

Connection via localhost only works if the client is on the same
machine as the server.

> I have a peer-to-peer network. I am using Windows f/w on the 2 XP
>boxes and ZA on the Win 2k server.

ZA = Zone Alarm ? If yes, have you set it up to accept LAN
connections through TCP port 3050? Have you checked the server at
connection time to see whether ZA is displaying a modal allow/deny dialog?

> From everything I have found, this method should be working.
>
> What else can I try? or check?

Well, check whether the server is running, obviously.

Put a copy of isql.exe from the Firebird 2.0 bin directory on the
client and use that to test the connection. The tools you are using
might not be Firebird-aware.

And don't forget to supply user and password in your connection parameters.

./heLen