Subject Re: [firebird-support] Accessing firebird database on LAN
Author Aage Johansen
Helen Borrie wrote:
> At 06:31 PM 3/06/2007, [Tariq] wrote:
>> The miHotel software does not require mentioning the name of the database
>> file; only it requires defining the path of the file.
>>
>> When I am trying to access the database file from the server where the
>> database is stored using this command:
>>
>> 192.168.1.153:C:\Program Files\SoftMI\miHotel\DB\
>>
>> the software loads the database file without any problem but when I am
>> trying to access the database file from the client PC, I get this message
>> "Missing configuration file: C:\Program Files\FirBird\aliases.conf".
>
> This message is not coming from Firebird. The application appears to
> be making the presence of aliases.conf a condition for starting
> up. This isn't architecturally valid, since aliases.conf (a) lives
> in the root directory of the Firebird server; (b) is not accessed by
> the client application at all and (c) is optional anyway.
>
> If your application is performing a check on the local disk for
> aliases.conf then I'm afraid it appears that whoever wrote your
> software did not intend for it to be used on a network. Have you
> contacted the vendor at all for help with this?
>
>> I am wondering if there is some testing to find out what is the
problem as I
>> have tried everything I know but no result.

1.
It seems the program will append a fixed DatabaseName (filename) to the path.
If an alias were defined, you should only use the ip address (or
server name). Or, you should explicitly give servername:aliasname (no path).
What does the miHotel documentation specify?
If the firebird.conf specifies DatabaseAccess=None, you will not
succeed with the usual <full path and filename>.
2.
I believe the alias file is usually (for Fb/1.5.x):
C:\Program files\Firebird\Firebird_1_5\alias.conf
(not C:\Program Files\FirBird\aliases.conf)
and it is placed on the server (not the client).
Does the program have any specific requirements as to the location of
the alias file? Is this a configuration file for miHotel?
Does the firebird.conf specify that aliases should be used _always_?
(e.g. "DatabaseAccess = None")

> Reality checks:
> e.g.
> isql 'OurServer:C:\Program Files\SoftMI\miHotel\d:\path\to\dbfile'
> -user BOSS -password 'pass$%xx'
> ./heLen

That path seems slightly odd...

--