Subject Re: Upgrade to FB2.01 and performance drops
Author trtoms
--- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, Helen Borrie <helebor@...>
wrote:

> At 05:19 AM 18/05/2007, Trevor Toms wrote:
> >We've just upgraded one of our servers from V1.5.3 to V2.01 and
> >performance has plummeted.
<snip>

> Is it a dialect 1 database?
>
> ./heLen

Yes - does this make a difference? And if so, how easy is the
transition from dialect 1 to 3? None of our queries use quoted
identifiers, but we're also extremely careful to avoid any column names
that could possibly be reserved words.

Thanks for the reply and apologies for the time delays in response, due
to (a) time zones and (b) a client who's screaming at me to improve
response times!

This application is a Delphi app accessing the Firebird database
directly over the Internet via the BDE.

Even with FB 1.5.3 we're getting very slow responses to all the
queries, although individually they're running extremely quickly now on
the server itself. Having put the new server in with FB 1.5.3, the Big
Query I referred to yesterday now takes 3 seconds to come back - a big
improvement!

It seems that while individual queries are now restored to normality, a
barrage of short "one row" queries really drags it all down to a crawl.
Yet when the server is on a local WAN, it all really flies with v1.5.3.

I'm mystified!

Trevor