Subject Re: [firebird-support] GFIX syntax question - what am I doing wrong?
Author Michael Badnarik
>At 09:47 PM 5/10/2007, Michael Badnarik wrote:
> > I have a very important database that suddenly got corrupted. I'm
> > trying to clean it up using GFIX, but the best I can do is generate
> > an "unavailable database" message. Most of the time it
> > says "incompatible switch combination - please retry specifying an
> > option - plausible options are:"
>
>Alexandre Benson Smith responded:
>a good starting point would be if you provide the command you are trying.

I'm sorry I didn't give more specific details.

My OPEN CONTACTS database is installed on my laptop as a one-user
system. I have installed OPEN CONTACTS as a multi-user, server-based
system for my friend's company, and I am very familiar with the
concept of "client/server" (or "client/service") applications. The
scenario leading up to the problem was:

My database was working just fine.
I closed the database and all other applications to install a new application
(This new application theoretically has nothing to do with OPEN CONTACTS.)
After installation of the new application, my database was corrupted
and would not open.
The error message I received was:
"Object: TRmMain--EAccessViolation~Access violation at address
00711E36 in module 'OpenContacts.exe'. Read of address 000000C"
(This occurs after the "fuel gauge" indicates almost 95% of the data
has been loaded)

Given the circumstances, I believe that my database contains the data
I had entered just prior to failure, and that - somehow - there was a
lost flag, or something that corrupted the database, preventing it
from opening.

I have attempted to use the GFIX administrative application without
success. I have copied the GFIX.EXE file to the "Open Contacts\data"
subdirectory, where I have opened a DOS window (remember those?) and
I have typed:

gfix -user SYSDBA -password masterkey BADNARIK_ERROR.GDB -no_update
[response=]incompatible switch option
[response=]please retry specifying an option

gfix -user SYSDBA -password masterkey BADNARIK_ERROR.GDB -online
[response=]unsupported on-disk structure for file C:\OPEN
CONTACTS\DATA\BADNARIK_ERROR.GDB;
[response=]found 32779, support 10

gfix -user SYSDBA -password masterkey BADNARIK_ERROR.GDB -validate
[response=]unsupported on-disk structure for file C:\OPEN
CONTACTS\DATA\BADNARIK_ERROR.GDB;
[response=]found 32779, support 10

gfix -user SYSDBA -password masterkey BADNARIK_ERROR.GDB -commit all
[response=]unsupported on-disk structure for file C:\OPEN
CONTACTS\DATA\BADNARIK_ERROR.GDB;
[response=]found 32779, support 10

I have attempted these same commands with the only other
user/password combination I have ever used with this database with
similar results.

I have checked the Windows TaskManager to confirm that FBSERVER.EXE
and FBGUARD.EXE are both running.
Other databases will open without a problem, confirming that it is
only this particular database which has been corrupted.
I do have a backup of the database, but I am embarrassed to report
how old it is.
I am hoping to recover THIS database sometime today - otherwise it
will be time for me to start rebuilding from my most recent backup.

Can anyone help me?

Michael Badnarik
www.ConstitutionPreservation.org
www.wtprn.com/programs.html#Badnarik