Subject Re: [firebird-support] Simple isc_attach_database Question
Author Kurt Federspiel
Hi, Helen.

That helps a ton. I have an alias set up, which does
work locally, so I assume using the IP Address & Alias
will work (i.e. "192.168.1.30:empdb") as my connect
string.

I'll give it a try first thing in the (my) morning!!
Kurt.

> --- Helen Borrie <helebor@...> wrote:
>
> At 11:37 AM 1/05/2007, you wrote:
> >Hi.
> >
> >I need to attach to a DB across a LAN, but all of
> the examples show
> >attachments similar to:
> >
> >isc_attach_database(
> >status_vector,
> >0,
> >"employee.db",
> >&handle,
> >dpb_length,
> >dpb_buffer);
> >

> >Can someone post a couple examples of using the API
> to connect across
> >the LAN??
>
> Those examples are horrible. The member that the
> example shows as "employee.db" needs to be a valid
> connection specification, consisting of two elements

> in the correct format for the server, viz.
>
> Element 1. hostname. This is mandatory except in
> two *specific* client/server conditions, each of
> which is specific to the OS and the application
> architecture. On Windows, it is the IPServer
"local"
> connection via Superserver or the embedded server;
> on POSIX platforms it is the Classic server when
> using the libfbembed.so client.
>
> Otherwise, the hostname must be either the
> LAN-recognised hostname of the server. If the
> connection protocol is TCP/IP, it can be the IP
> address instead, as long as the IP address of the
> host is statically defined and reserved. It cannot
> be a virtual server
>
> Element 2. file path. This is the filesystem path
> to the database file, as seen by the server. It
> cannot be a relative path and it cannot point to a
> mapped drive or anything else except the *physical*
> location of the file on a hard drive that is
> controlled directly by the host server. For a
> Windows server it has to include the drive
> designator of the drive or partition followed by a
> "/". For POSIX, a fully qualified path (from root
> down). You can find examples in the Quick Start
> Guide.
>
> On Firebird 1.5 and higher, Element 2 can be a
> database alias. If you don't know about database
> aliases, READ THE V.1.5 RELEASE NOTES. There is
> also an example in the alias config file
> aliases.conf in the firebird root directory.
>
> Here's one example for the employee database in a
> standard Firebird 2.0.x installation on Windows,
> assuming your server's hostname is "someserver" and
> the connection protocol is TCP/IP (recommended!):

someserver:c:\Progr~01\Firebird\Firebird_2_0\examples\empbuild\employee.fdb

> If you have the file location aliased, e.g.
>
> empdb = c:\Program
Files\Firebird\Firebird_2_0\examples\empbuild\employee.fdb
> then your connect string can be:
> someserver:empdb
>
> Similar if your server is the standard Linux
> installation:

someserver:/opt/firebird/examples/empbuild/employee.fdb