Subject RE: [firebird-support] Gbak, sweep, and the page cache
Author Rick Debay
I assume nbackup would have the same side effect? It's tempting to make
an incremental backup every hour, but I'd hate to flush the working set
in the page cache every time.

-----Original Message-----
From: firebird-support@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:firebird-support@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Ann W. Harrison
Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2007 12:53 PM
To: firebird-support@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [firebird-support] Gbak, sweep, and the page cache

Rick Debay wrote:
> Would it be worthwhile to submit a feature request that these
> utilities circumvent the page cache, or is this not feasible due to
> architecture or implementation?

It's not feasible to circumvent the page cache. It _might_ be possible
(not easy) to limit the number of pages a particular query can use, or
identify a massive serial read and restrict it to a few data pages at a
time. It will still need pointer pages, etc.

Regards,

Ann

Visit http://www.firebirdsql.org and click the Resources item on the
main (top) menu. Try Knowledgebase and FAQ links !

Also search the knowledgebases at http://www.ibphoenix.com